Jirra at Jeir Station

Robert Johnstone was instrumental in mustering the stray cattle in colonial Sydeny and was rewarded with land near Yass in 1833. The original ‘Jeir’ homestead was built about 1835 using convict albour, by 1890 Robert had built ‘Jeir Station’ into a productive property on the rich soils of the Yass limestone plains. Jeir is derived from the local aboriginal word ‘Jirra’ meaning Kangaroo.